The Religion the Church Forgot
Whatever one says or thinks about David Miscavige, the current Chairman of the Board of the Church of Scientology, first and foremost is his gross incompetence and negligence in the running and governance of the church.
In the real world he would not last five minutes as the chairman of a board, or a president or any other titled leader and would have been removed quick sharp.
The most important aspect of any leadership role is governance, in this case, non-profit governance. This can be defined as:
Non-profit governance focuses primarily on the fiduciary responsibility that a board of trustees (sometimes called directors, the terms are interchangeable) has with respect to the exercise of authority over the explicit public trust that is understood to exist between the mission of an organization and those whom the organization serves
Corporate Governance could be defined as the set of processes, customs, policies, laws and institutions affecting the way people direct administer or control a corporation.
1. The manner in which boards or their like direct a corporation
2. The laws and customs (rules) applying to that direction
It also includes the relationships among the various interested parties and stakeholders concerned such as shareholders, employees, regulators, the environment and the community at large. It has as its main direction, the principal goals, purposes and mission statements as a guide to the governance.
Since Mr Miscavige's assumed control and under his charge, the Church has contracted rather than expanded.
1. He has changed the governance from one of enhancing and expanding the rights and wellbeing of its employees to a denial of worker rights to health and safety, fair pay, freedom from retaliation and a non-discriminatory workplace as covered by federal law and, as a consequence, has exposed himself to penalties ranging from minimal corrective measures to stiff monetary fines and, under unusual circumstances, jail and a prison sentence.
2. Violated the very tenets of the Church he is supposed to uphold. The tenets of the church include:
The Code of a Scientologist
The Creed of the Church
The basic purpose and goals as outlined by the founder L. Ron Hubbard.
The Credo of a good and Skilled Manager
3. Changed the very basics of the philosophy and practice of scientology in violation of the purposes of the philosophy and application thereof.
4. Demonstrated a lack of fiduciary responsibility that a board of trustees (sometimes called directors, the terms are interchangeable) or leader of a board has with respect to the exercise of authority over the explicit public trust that is understood to exist between the mission of an organization, in this case the propagation of the philosophy and its application, and those whom the organization serves.
5. Resorted to harassment and threats of parishioners in a mafia protection racket style in order to supplement the income not now received from the non-application of the original philosophy and its application as was originally intended due to massive non delivery.
6. The contraction of delivery organisations around the world under his charge.
7. Mass disconnections and resignations of staff and volunteer workers since his assumption of the post.
In any other organisation profit or non-profit. He would have been removed for gross incompetence and likely sued in a civil court for misappropriation of funds and assets.
Unfortunately he has been able to surround himself with corporately ignorant and inexperienced people who live in a perpetual state of fear and ignorance but who are so massively in agreement with him that there is little likelihood of a removal from the post other than through external legal means or if one of them 'wakes up' and takes the initiative to boot his arse out of the gate. Until then the Church will continue to slide downhill and Scientology will truly be the religion the church forgot.
This chairman of the Board is a dictator. A dictator is not a leader. A dictator is an order giver and a low toned one at that since he invariably operates as a tone level of fear or below. Of course, he will eventually go out the same way all dictators go. Feet first. It is just a question of when and how.
I can hardly wait.